The Arc of Tennessee ®
Related Disability Links
The links listed are not necessarily endorsed by The Arc Tennessee and should be checked out thoroughly. Note that we only list links that are applicable to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families and we try not to duplicate information.
- Ability Corps: purpose is to create a world of inclusion and awareness for people with disabilities.
- Ability Jobs: resume bank for people with disabilities that is shared with companies.
- Ability Magazine: magazine covering disability issues.
- AbleData: provides objective information on assistive technology and rehabilitation equipment.
- ABLE TN - tax-free savings program for people with disabilities.
- ADAPT: National grassroots community that organizes disability rights activists to engage in nonviolent direct action.
- Alliance for Full Participation: organization for people with developmental disabilities and their families that promotes integration, productivity, independence and choice.
- American Association of People with Disabilities: organizes the disability community to be a powerful voice for change.
- The Arc United States: information on intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- The Arc United States Resources Page: fact sheets on prevention and health.
- Assisted Living Foundation - provides resources, tools and guides for people with disabilities and elderly
- Autism NOW: National Autism Resource and Information Center initiative of The Arc funded by the Administration on Developmental Disabilities.
- Brain & Spinal Cord: resource for brain injury and spinal cord injury survivors.
- Camp Discovery: provides summer camping opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Community Resource Center (CRC): provides basic household necessities to nonprofit agencies and people in desperate need in 20 Middle Tennessee counties.
- The Council on Quality and Leadership: provides person-centered supports and services for people with disabilities.
- Disability.gov: connects the Disability Community to information and opportunities.
- Disability is Natural: website encourages new ways of thinking about developmental disabilities.
- Disability Rights Tennessee: legal advocacy organization.
- Drug Alert: database with information and news alerts about potentially dangerous drugs currently on the market.
- Disabled Travelers: offers travel information for people with developmental disabilities.
- Good Nutrition Ideas: website with nutrition products and training designed to improve the nutritional health of people with disabilities.
- Guide to Teaching Fire Safety to Students with Disabilities: raises awareness and educates students about fire safety.
- Love and Learning: reading and language development.
- Musical Bridges: this program helps each individual develop independence and greater functioning through music therapy.
- Next Steps: a two-year certification program for students with intellectual disabilities, providing individualized Programs of Study in the areas of education, social skills, and vocational training.
- Pathfinder: resource search engine to find disability services and supports.
- Qualitymall.org: Website has a resource section that contains books, electronic media, on-line forums and products.
- The Riot: an e-newsletter for self-advocates and self-advocacy.
- SABE: Self Advocates Becoming Empowered is a national organization.
- Source Lift: a distributor of wheelchair lifts, stair lifts and access.
- Special Needs Family: family friendly fun and special needs resources.
- STEP, Inc: provides information, training and support services on Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to parents.
- TASH: International association of people with disabilities, their family members, other advocates and professionals concerned with human dignity, civil rights, education and independence.
- TennCare: Tennessee's Medicaid healthcare program.
- TENNderCARE: a full program of check ups and health care services for children who have TennCare.
- Tennessee Department of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Services (DIDD): for information on available services and supports.
- Tennessee Disability MegaConference: annual conference information.
- Tennessee Justice Center (TJC): for information on health care and welfare reform that affects low-income families.
- Tennessee Council on Developmental Disabilities: independent state office that promotes public policies to increase and support the inclusion of individuals with developmental disabilities in their communities.
- Tennessee Disability Coalition: alliance of disability organizations and individuals who work together.
- Think College: college options for people with intellectual disabilities.
- UT Boling Center for Developmental Disabilities: a University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities that provides advocacy training and resources.
- A Piece of the Puzzle: website where people with special needs and disabilities can visit to have fun, meet others, chat, play games, and read articles.
- Disability Scoop: national developmental disability news site covering autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, intellectual disability and more.
- Special Needs Resources: a compilation of 100 best special needs resources.
- Tucker's House: connects Middle TN families that have children with disabilities with resources and financial assistance to help make their houses accessible and therapy friendly.
- Business Resources for Intrepreneurs with Disabilities: provides resources for business plans, marketing and more.
- ViaCord: treats cerebral palsy with umbilical cord blood cells they collect from newborns, and has information and research details.
- OAR (Organization for Autism Research): offers $3000 scholarships for individuals on the autism spectrum who are pursuing full-time post secondary undergraduate education or vocational-technical training.
- College Guide for Students with Disabilities: making college affordable guide for students with disabilities.
- Online Learning for College Students with Disabilities: resources for online learning for students and families with disabilities and best practices for meeting the needs of students with disabilities
- Turbo Tax Guide for People with Disabilities: help with filing IRS income tax returns.
- Kid Central TN: resources for children's health, education, development and support.
- HomeAdvisor Disability Accommodation Cost Guides: helps families determine remodeling needs and calculate costs involved.
- Fire Safety and Disabilities Guide: information on preparedness.
- Social Security Administration: benefits for people with disabilities.
- Path to Government Benefits: answer questions to find out which government benefits you may be eligible to receive.
- Healthy People: Disability and health information from the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Family Caregiver Alliance: state-by-state help for family caregivers
- Airline Tips: for travelers with disabilities; listed by airline
- Coping with Stress: for parents with children with chronic illness or disability
- Consumerdangers: offers information on products and safety
- Cerebral Palsy Guide: provides free educational materials, financial options and emotional support
- Cerebral Palsy Group: offers education and support
- VMI: offers affordable wheelchair conversion vehicles
- Cerebral Palsy Symptoms: offers resources for cerebral palsy and other common birth injuries
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance: provides guidance and assistance to parents of a child with cerebral palsy
- Community College Review: advice on choosing the best community college for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Recall Guide: up-to-date alerts on medicine recalls and issues
- Expertise: how to hire home remodelers
- Special Education Guide: offers information on special education
- College Resources: for students with disabilities
- National Science Teachers Association: provides strategies and resources for making science accessible for students with disabilities
- Kitchen Safety: for single parents with children with disabilities
- Job Hero: offers career resources for Americans with disabilities
- Single Mothers Assistance - has links to financial assistance programs for single moms
- Entertainment Guide - helps families of children with special needs plan vacations
- Self-advocates Guide to Medicaid - is a handy guide created by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network with help from the Special Hope Foundation
- Interactive Planner - offers a great tool for caregivers to keep their child's schedule and routine in order
- Disaster Safety for People with Disabilities When Emergency Weather Strikes - offers advice on what to do during different inclement weather
- Family Communication Plan - FEMA's easy to use form field for emergency contact information
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist - easy to use guide with checklist form
- Springboard Landings - provides independent living for individuals with developmental disabilities in a residential community-centered atmosphere with a limited amount of support
- Tuck's Sleep - offers resources on Autism Spectrum Disorder and Sleep
- Nashville IDD Housing- offers resources for affordable housing in the Nashville area
- Medicare Eligibility Guide - has information about enrollment periods and what states offer
- NeedLink - provides financial assistance to residents who qualify who live in Davidson County or are Nashville Electric Service customers
- Jill's House Weekend Adventures - is a three-day camp experience for children with intellectual disabilities
- HIE Help Center - supports and informs the families and loved ones of children with disabilities stemming from hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Action Behavior Centers - 100 things to know about Autism Spectrum Disorder in 2018
- National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities - provides training and technical assistance to improve the lives of parents with disabilities and their families
- UCP Middle Tennessee: has a free equipment exchange program for people with disabilities who qualify.
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center: for information on developmental research, sib shops and more.
- Wrightslaw: special education law information.
- Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities: find consultants, therapists, parent support groups, attorneys and more.